Speaking of Change, Collaboration, Leadership, and Body Language

Friday, October 14, 2005

What if your job changed significantly -- or was being eliminated? What if you had to reinvent yourself to stay relevant in your profession? What if you had to change careers? Would you survive?

Some people actually do survive, and even thrive, in these circumstances. They flourish in chaotic times by (first of all) understanding the forces of change in a world where nothing is guaranteed.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself. Better yet, gather your team and answer these together:
• What trends and forces of change are currently impacting my profession? Especially -- What could happen in the future that would make my profession obsolete?
• What assumptions do I have about my current situation? (Write them down and then write the opposites. Analyze what would happen if the opposite assumptions proved correct.)
• Which skills and abilities are my current strengths?
• Which current strengths will continue to make me successful in the future?
• What new skills do I need to learn to stay valuable in the marketplace?
• What do I need to unlearn? (Which skills are becoming obsolete? What practices -- attitudes, behaviors, work routines, etc. -- that worked for me in the past are no longer valid?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home