Speaking of Change, Collaboration, Leadership, and Body Language

Monday, August 15, 2005

Just in case you forgot to mark your calendar, this past weekend was the opening of deer hunting season in Northern California. I know this for a fact because my husband is a hunter and every year since he was sixteen, he’s gone to the same region (where we have a small cabin and hunting camp) for the seven weekends of the season.

I don’t hunt. But I do go with him to camp. And here’s what I’ve learned: Hunting is not about killing Bambi’s daddy (although a fair amount of them have been eliminated during the years). Hunting is about telling stories –mostly the same stories - over and over every year. It’s how my husband and his friends bond, how they learn from one another and caution each other, and how they transfer what they’ve learned to the next generation.

I’ve spent several years looking for great examples of knowledge sharing and collaboration in organizations, only to find some of the best examples around a campfire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home