Speaking of Change, Collaboration, Leadership, and Body Language

Saturday, February 04, 2006

After speaking at a conference on the East Coast, I was approached by an executive who handed me his business card as an introduction. I was startled when he abruptly snatched it back. He explained that he wanted to cross out the word senior in front of his vice-president title. He went on to tell me that he was only temporarily acting in the senior position and that, as soon as possible, he wanted to return to his old job. He said that five years earlier his ambition had been the presidency of the company, but not anymore: "Being a vice president suits me just fine. I'm good at it, and I could do it in my sleep. I don't need the added pressure of a higher position. Besides, I've got a family and a couple of interesting hobbies. This gives me time to play."

Just the week before, an audience member had shown me a drawing he'd sketched of his career objectives. His goal was to become the head of corporate communications for his present employer - an international firm that had already identified him as a "high potential" candidate. But the young man went on to say that he also wanted to live on the family ranch in Montana. While the company had been looking at ways this employee might commute home on weekends, he'd drawn a picture of himself working from the ranch and coming into an office only periodically.

Like many other talented professionals I've met and interviewed, these two were developing their own lifestyle formulas to compensate for the demands of the workplace. And while the strategies differ from person to person, they almost always reflects a desire for autonomy and freedom.

Some leaders are paying attention - and responding to this trend. Last year I worked with a company's senior management team. They were looking to center their organizational reengineering efforts on the key question: What gets in the way of your doing a great job and having a great life?

It wasn't an idle question. A 2005 ISR study of 50,000 workers found a clear link between good management practices, good work-life balance for employees, and an improved bottom line that included more satisfied customers and lower rates of absenteeism and safety incidents.

So ask your staff about their scheduling conflicts, and then involve them in co-creating timetables and deadlines. Be as understanding and supportive as you can when your workers have major personal issues. Find creative ways to help employees balance the work-life seesaw - and watch the positive effects on retention, customer loyalty, and profits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home